Sunday, November 07, 2004

Buzz & The Flyers - "You Crazy Gal You"

Neo-rockabilly band Buzz & The Flyers formed in New York City after Buzz Wayne sold his 1960 Studebaker Lark to finance a trip from Columbus, Ohio to New York. They played rockabilly with thwaking drums from Brooklyn's Rock Roll, thumping bass from New Jersey's Pete Morgan and twangy guitar from Cleveland's Michael Gene. Buzz & The Flyers released a three song E.P. in 1980 on New York Dolls, Sylvan Sylvain's Sing Sing label where "You Crazy Gal You" comes from. The E.P. also included a cover of Dale Hawkins' "Little Pig". A complete album was released that included tracks produced by Mickey Most and also Richard Gottehrer. Buzz & The Flyers were: Buzz Wayne - vocals, Michael Gene -guitar, Rock Roll - drums, and Pete Morgan - bass and later, R. E. Landau, bass.

Vinyl Japan reissued Buzz and the Flyers self titled debut album on CD last year.

Go to the download page to get Buzz & The Flyers "You Crazy Gal You"

14 Comments:

Blogger H said...

What an amazing blog. I'm bookmarking you!

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm suprised you guys didn't mention that Dig Wayne of THe Joboxers - "Just Got Lucky," is actually Buzz Wayne of Buzz & The Flyers. One and the same. Another interesting fact is that he was a black man doing rockabilly.

Dave

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw Dig Wayne of Buzz and the Flyers at the Rockabilly Fest in Green Bay, and he was... Amazing! Let's hope he continues performing and writing music because he is a gem.

Gloria G

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote about Buzz & the Flyers for Good Times, a LI weekly back in the early 1980s. I hung out at many of their concerts and got to know the guys. I loved everything about that band -- Buzz's vocals, Michael's wailing guitar, Rock's roll. I wish them all well!!

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dig Wayne's back and rocking at the Rockabilly Rave (UK) next year.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Dig Wayne at this years rockabilly rave in the UK with Shaun Mencher and Rob Tyler and he was awesome. Fantastic voice and stage charisma. I can't wait to see Dig perform again.

3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Download their full CD at www.nervous.co.uk/buzzflyers.html

9:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Saw Buzz aka Dig at Ronnie Scott's in London circa 1983(?). We actually went to see Vic Godard and the Subway Sect (he'd just released a 'crooner' album complete with dinner jacket). After the first set, Buzz/Dig replaced Vic and absolutely lifted the lid off of the place. One of the best gigs I've ever seen. I think he later went on to be in the West End production of 'Five Guys named Mo' (after the joboxers).

Happy days

Chris

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I booked BUZZ AND THE FLYERS into Trenton NJ's City Gardens club at least a dozen times back in 1980-1981. I have two 7 inch 45's from the band. Man, they rocked the house everytime they played for me!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Dino Delray said...

Buzz and the Flyers is one of my top ten records of all time. My vinyl copy is tethered and worn from endless plays.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Buzz and the Flyers several times at the Dirt Club in Bloomfield, NJ in the early 1980's. They were a great band.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Buzz and the Flyers several times at the Dirt Club in Bloomfield, NJ in the early 1980's. They were a great band.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buzz and The Flyers are 2 months new to me and im obsessed, I listen to it everyday, what a perfect Rockabilly album from start to finish.. sooo wish they were still around.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I listen to Buzz and The Flyers everyday, such a perfect Rockabilly album from start to finish. sooo wish they were still around

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home