Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Three Johns

threejohnsLeeds, England's The Three Johns formed in 1982 and released a few singles before releasing the LP "Atom Drum Bop" (1984, Abstract Records). Their music can be described as an accessible version of post-punk with big sounding guitars and hard, repetitive dance beats. If that sounds like that other Leeds band it's not by accident. Jon Langford (who was also recording with and continues to record with the Mekons) admits they went for "that Gang of Four sound" and even programmed the forth member, a drum machine called "Hugo", to "do that Gang of Four beat". They recorded a few more LPs before Langford decided to commit to the Mekons full-time in 1990.

The Three Johns were:
Jon Langford - guitar
John Hyatt - vocals
John Brennan - bass
Hugo the drum machine.

You can find a reissued concert CD here.

Go to the download page to get The Three Johns- "Atom Drum Bop"

9 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

It's amazing some of the fringe new wave bands you come up with -- and I'm even more amazed when I remember them. I remember the Three Johns, yes I do.

AC @ bloggedy blog

9:48 PM  
Blogger eLf ideas said...

I remember The Three Johns! In fact, I've long been looking for their songs all over the Internet.

Around 1988, a friend of mine from the US sent me LPs, and one of these were Three Johns 'Atomic Drum Bop.' Another friend borrowed the LP and lost it since.

Thanks for this song.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I don't remember hearing of this band before but I really like the song you posted by them.

1:36 AM  
Blogger JamesChanceOfficial said...

I was lucky enough to see these guys a couple of times back in the 80's here in New York. Always fun and very nice as well when I met them after one show. A great, forgotten "lost" band!

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heck, I'm off to see them tonight in Brixton - reformed and gigging again...

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice, thank you!

[url]http://www.eightiesfanatic.6x.to/[/url]

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to listen to the Mekons and Gang of Four now.When I bought Atom Bomb Drop some idiot had carved a hangmans thing across the best track.I've now managed to download it after all these years,Although I like all of it that one track stands out like the No.1 hit of all time for me even though it obviously never got to No.1.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. The Three Johns were the first band I ever went to see live at the tender age of 15- seems like yesterday. They were amazing- only Iggy Pop and Eels live have come close.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting idea for a book and a jolly nice blog page to go with it!

The Three Johns Official MySpace page features regularly changed classic and recent songs, photos and vids, and news of the band, plus links to the current music projects being produced by the band as individuals.

http://www.myspace.com/thethreejohns

Best wishes

Janet - The Three Johns Webmistress

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home